Green Buildings and Construction and Demolition (C&D)
Green building practices offer an opportunity to create environmentally-sound and resource-efficient buildings by using an integrated approach to design. Green buildings promote resource conservation, energy efficiency, renewable energy, and water conservation features. They also consider environmental impacts and waste minimization; create a healthy and comfortable environment; reduce operation and maintenance costs; and address issues such as historical preservation, access to public transportation and other community infrastructure systems. The entire life-cycle of the building and its components is considered, as well as the economic and environmental impact and performance.
Construction and Demolition (C&D) debris consists of the waste generated during construction, renovation, and demolition projects. Covering a wide array of materials including wood, concrete, steel, brick, and gypsum, C&D debris is a large and complex waste stream. Reducing C&D debris conserves landfill space, reduces the environmental impact of producing new materials, and can reduce overall building project expenses through avoided purchase/disposal costs.
The following are web sites related to green building programs, design, maintenance, product directories, model contracts, available funding, case studies, database of LEED architect/engineer/builders, C&D disposal methods, green hotels and more.
- C&D Recycler - Information on the latest products/services, news, events, classifieds, RFP's and article archives.
- California Integrated Waste Management Board Green Building Design and Construction - Sustainable building tool kit for project managers, blueprint for state facilities, performance standards, project designs and case studies.
- Construction Recycling Guide - Offers a contractor's guide to saving money through job-site recycling and waste prevention, calculating cost-effectiveness and contract design specs.
- EPA Construction and Demoilition - Defines C&D debris, lists disposal methods and additional resources.
- EPA Green Buildings - Describes and links to green building materials, energy efficiency and renewables, indoor environment and waste.
- Green Hotels Association - Describes how member hotels promote and encourage ecological consciousness in the hospitality industry, lists member hotels and "green" travel ideas.
- Maryland Department of the Environment Green Building Factsheet
- Maryland Department of the Environment Green Roof Factsheet
- National Association of Demolition Contractors - Lists member services, upcoming events and links to members' web sites.
- U.S. Department of Energy-Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Network-Office of Building Technology - Building info for homeowners, commercial building owners, builders/designers and public officials with emphasis on success stories, building energy data, software tools and codes/standards.
- U.S. Green Building Council - Members work to develop design guidelines, policy positions, educational tools and industry standards. Information on certified projects and accredited professionals.
Construction and Demolition Markets and Disposal Methods
To find markets for C&D materials, go to http://www.mdrecycles.org/recyclingDirectory.php for a database of companies and materials accepted at their facilities.
For a list of all solid waste acceptance facilities (i.e. rubble landfills, transfer stations, municipal landfills) that accept C&D, go to C&D Acceptance Facilities List.
*The companies and web sites listed on this page are based on information provided by various agencies and organizations and does not represent an endorsement by the Maryland Department of the Environment.
For more information, please contact The Waste Diversion Division at 410-537-3314.