Comprehensive Flood Management Grant Program

Comprehensive Flood Management Grant Program

The Comprehensive Flood Management Grant Program (CFMGP) was created in 1976 to promote the development of local flood management plans, fund studies of watersheds, and support capital projects for flood control and watershed management. Known as the "Flood Hazard Mitigation Act of 1976" this program also provided for grants to subdivisions immediately after floods for acquisition of flood-damaged owner-occupied dwellings. Elevations and relocations of homes are also eligible for funding. Acquired land is converted to open space in perpetuity.

In recent years the program has been used primarily to fund 50% for the non-federal share of the FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HN4GP) funds which pay up to 75% of the cost of flood mitigation projects. Previously, the CFMGP funded a variety of flood mitigation projects including acquisitions of over 400 flood prone properties. These projects have typically been cost shared with local governments and federal agencies.

In the 1998 General Assembly Session, a bill was passed which increases the maximum grant available under this program. The CFMGP share of projects that do not include federal funds was increased from 50% to 75%. The cost share for federally-funded projects remains the same at 50% of the non-federal share, which is typically 12.5% CFMGP, 12.5% local goverment, and 75% federal. For example:

Project A costs $100,000 for acquisition of two repetitively flood-damaged homes that lie within the 100 year flood boundary. The Federal Emergency Management Agency provides a grant of $75,000 (75%). The local government must cover the remaining $25,000 (25%). The local government applies to MDE and receives a grant from the CFMGP for $12,500, which is one-half of the local share, or 12.5% of the total project cost.

Project B also costs $100,000 for acquisition of two repetitively flood-damaged homes that lie within the 100 year flood boundary. No federal funds are available to assist in funding the project. The local government applies to MDE and receives $75,000 (75%) of the total cost. The local government is then responsible for the remaining 25% or $25,000.

Only County and municipal governments are eligible to receive grants from the CFMGP. The government agency must file an application requesting funding, and include evidence of its ability to fund the cost share amount.

For more information contact Carver Struve at MEMA (410) 517-3624.​