Water Saving Tips for Commercial Buildings
A list of watersaving tips for commercial buildings:
- Increase employee awareness of water conservation.
- Install signs encouraging water conservation in employee and customer restrooms.
- When cleaning with water is necessary, use budgeted amounts.
- Determine the quantity and purpose of water being used.
- Read water meter weekly to monitor success of water conservation efforts.
- Assign an employee to monitor water use and waste.
- Seek employee suggestions on water conservation; locate suggestion boxes in prominent areas.
- Get creative! Determine other methods of water conservation specific to your situation.
- Check water supply system for leaks.
- Turn off any unnecessary flows.
- Repair dripping faucets, showers and continuously running or leaking toilets.
- Install faucet aerators where possible.
- Reduce the load on air conditioning units by shutting off air conditioning when and where it is not needed.
- Reduce toilet water by adjusting flush valves or installing dams and flapper mechanisms.
- As appliances or fixtures wear out, replace them with water-saving models.
- Shut off water supply to equipment rooms not in use.
- Minimize the water used in cooling equipment in accordance with manufacturers recommendations. Shut off cooling units when not needed.
- Turn off the continuous flow used to clean the drain trays.
- Turn dishwasher off when not in use. Wash full loads only.
- Use water from steam tables to wash down cooking area.
- Do not use running water to melt ice or frozen foods.
- Use water-conserving ice makers.
- Inventory outdoor water use for landscaped areas.
- Water landscapes only when needed. Two-to-three times a week is usually sufficient.
- Water in the early morning or evening.
- Make sure that water does not run into the streets or alleys.
- Stop hosing down sidewalks, driveways, and parking lots.
- Use time controllers on sprinkler systems.
- Do not water on windy days.
For More Information
For more information contact the Water Supply Program at 410-537-3589 or firstname.lastname@example.org.